
For years now, Ben has been in love with the Mario games he discovered from his older cousins. Several months ago, Ben asked Joe if we could get him a game. To this Joe responded with "a deal". The deal was, if Ben would write a full page story, and have almost no mistakes, then he would buy Ben a game. For months, Ben would start a page and then quit after a few lines. (It is really hard for a five year old to stay focused for a long time on something that is challenging, such as writing
each and
every letter perfectly.) The goal Joe had set seemed daunting to him and something he felt was too hard to accomplish. He'd ask if we could just buy it for Christmas, or have grandma buy it, but the deal was he could
only have a game if he
earned it.
But, the other night, his drive was renewed. With some help from Joe and me, he finally finished his story and earned his game. By the end of writing his little hand was so tired. I witnessed the struggle to remember all the strokes to every letter.

And, every line was filled. You might be able to read a little; it's a cute little story. Ben took his finished page to Joe and waited nervously while Joe read it out loud. Joe finally came back with the announcement that he thought it was worthy of earning a game. Immediately, Joe took Ben and Kade to the store and finally bought the glorious game
(this was around bedtime Saturday night) . When the boys got home, it was
way to late for them to play. Ben was disappointed,but he knew it was way past bedtime. Then we remembered that the next day was Sunday, and we reminded him that he wouldn't be able to play the game tomorrow either. He didn't cry or complain at that thought either. He accepted it. He knows that's we just don't do those things on Sunday, and he knew that mom and dad wouldn't go back on that rule just to let him play a game -no matter how badly he wanted to play. so, he never cried, begged or tried to negotiate. I am very proud of Ben's maturity. He pushed himself and really accomplished a
hard thing. I am even more impressed that he didn't fight me and Joe on the rules (of bedtime or of the Sabbath) -not once.
(disclaimer: Ben has argued against rules before, and has cried when disappointed and has tired negotiating his way out of things (although not often)-I'm no way trying to claim he's perfect.) I am grateful for a husband who finds ways for the kids to earn what they have and to stick with his arrangements with them. I am grateful that Joe and I have been consistent enough that our kids know what they can expect from us in any given situation. They know we're doing our best and trying to follow the Lord. I like that Joe and I can be on the same page with the way our kids are raised and disciplined. I am all around grateful for the things that took place this past Saturday and Sunday. I am proud of all involved.
Now, onto a new life of gaming rules, terms and limitations, and following through on those rules, terms and limits. (Yay!....
sarcastic.)
3 comments:
He's AMAZING!!!! That story was so cute. Love that boy!
How hard. Making him write a story. He's just in kindergarten. :) I don't know that Boaz would have done that. He is amazing. Tell him Auntie Wendy thinks he is way kool.
Yay for Ben! And yay for Joe for knowing how to properly deal with the kid. It takes a good parent to know how to get those kind of things to work, and then to stick to them.
Post a Comment