Sunday, March 4, 2012

A Few Random Things.

I try to find little moments throughout the day where I can talk to the boys one on one. Just the other day I asked Kade if he wanted to go to the store with me, and as we drove we kept smiling at each other through the rear view mirror. I was all of a sudden just overwhelmed with how much I LOVE this boy. I started telling him things like, "Kade, I am so glad Heavenly Father gave you to me.", and "Do you know just how incredible you are?". He would smile and just soak in all the compliments. Then I said, "Man, Heavenly Father just gave me an amazing kid!", to which he replied, "Yeah! And it was ME!" I told him, "Right. It was you. I have some great boys." I really do know how blessed I am.
Joe and I got to visit with Ben's Kindergarten teacher again for another Parent/Teacher conference. (I don't like taking the kids with me to these things -I want the teacher to feel free to say whatever she needs to say without making the kid there.) Well, we were excited to learn Ben is reading at a third grade, second semester, level! Whoohoo! She told us things we could work on that they will be learning soon. I love this whole -"kid old enough to be in school" phase of my life. I like helping them learn and knowing that they are growing. I like that he is challenged yet having a great time learning! I want all my kids to love to learn; so far they all do. I pray I can help them reach their potential. What a great time in our lives. I really love this stage.
Carter has recently been more miserable than I have ever seen him. He has never been this sick for this long. It seems to be that he has RSV, ear infections, a sore throat and just an overall load of crud. Poor kiddo. After a blessing and constant worrying about his rapid breathing and his high fevers we took him to the ER, just to be on top of the whole thing. I love the peace of mind I get "knowing" what's wrong. For a couple nights, I slept in the guest bed in Carter's room -he had been up so much that I didn't want to wake Joe up every time I woke up. For three nights straight Carter and I were up every hour or so. It was rough, but, as I sat caring for and serving this little guy, I realized how lucky I am as a mom. (Yes, I have a fantastic husband, who from day one has helped with babies and sick kids. But, as mothers WE have take care of these things the most. It is the nature of our job. Our husbands have to be able to function the next day and actually be worth their pay. I would never ask Joe to go to work dead tired the next day -when his job enables me to stay home and nurture our children. Especially when it's very possible for me to "let things go around the house" so I can compensate for my lack of energy that day. Joe cannot slack at his job, just so I can get some sleep.)
Anyway, my point is, even though I was up all those nights and had a very sick and clingy baby in my arms the whole week, I felt incredibly thankful for the blessing of these moments to serve my son. I kept thinking, "This is my calling: to be coughed on and sneezed on; to wipe noses and bums over and over again; to hold, feed and calm a child; to love on, kiss on, and cuddle a sick little boy. This is what 'nurturing a child' is. I am lucky to have to serve this way. This is all making me a better person." I love that our Heavenly Father knows what we need to to help us improve. I asked for and wanted these children, and He blessed me with them. They will help me reach my potential. BUT, they'll do it by requiring a great deal of service from me everyday.
I am SO grateful -more than I can express- to be a mom! I love it! Whether the kids are happy, obedient and quiet, or onery, tantrum filled and loud, I love being a mom. I had the privilege of feeling Carter's little hands, stroking his smooth cheek and kissing him over and over again, and just loving him as much as I could. I am grateful to have spent all that time with him....even though it wasn't easy.

1 comment:

Brimaca said...

Oh I love it! And I agree with the nature of the job. I don't have a boss (other than a loving, forgiving, Father In Heaven) watching over my shoulder making sure I do a good job. I'm so thankful for a hubby that works hard at work so I can work hard at home. I love being a mommy too. Such a tiring, yet special job. :) And Holy Cow on Ben!!!!! That's crazy. He's a smart cookie!