Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Love of Books!

Growing up I read books and liked it, but I wouldn't say I had a "love" of books. We didn't have tons of books in our house, and I don't remember going to the library very often. I have many friends and a husband who love to read, and are always reading something; I admire this and have wanted to be more like that. I have improved. I've read more books in the past couple years than I had in several years preceding. (books read for school don't count.) I have currently finished a book and almost another this month -which isn't like me ~unfortunately. :)
I have always wanted to have lots of books in my home for my kids to look through and, eventually, read through. I want my kids to have a love of books. Well, I am glad to say that they do. They all love books. The fruits are starting to show more and more.
While at the library, Ben picked a super hero chapter book. I flipped through it quickly, and thought it looked a little too challenging for Ben. (chapter books are nothing new, but it just seemed a little too tough.) So, I told him my concern. He very adamantly told me it wouldn't be too hard and that he really wanted it "Please!" I said okay, and hoped it wouldn't be too over his head or have too many big words for him to understand. Well, this book had twelve chapters. Ben read 10 of them the first day.....well, within a few hours time actually. Then he woke up today and finished the the last two. I asked him questions about the book, and he told me a very involved story and even shared some dialogue along with the action. He had read it. He had understood it. (although, he told me the bad guy was in a "war" house....which I'm pretty sure it was "warehouse") :) I am glad I let him get the book he picked. He was right, he was more than able to read it, and I won't question his picks again. (plus what was i thinking not letting him be more challenged? I want my kids to be challenged. I wont make that mistake again either -hopefully.)
Hopefully I can start teaching Kade to read this summer. That's the plan. He so wishes he knew how. I asks me and Ben to tell him what things say all the time; I know he wants to know everything. We'll get there.
Carter too loves books. He'll bring Joe and me books all the time and settle up on our laps. Ben and Kade will read to him when we can't. I love it!! Yay for great books and three awesome libraries in town. Yay for a hubby who reads a lot, and Yay for me who is becoming more that way.

1 comment:

Brimaca said...

Wow!!!!! He's amazing!