Saturday, April 14, 2012

Spiritual Opportunities.

I know I post many of these stories. But, as i think about it -these stories are the ones I care most about and wanted written down for my kids. :)

I try to always find something to link everything I can back to our Savior or something gospel related when talking to my boys. I am looking for gospel teaching opportunities, and the Lord is blessing me with them. I know that He will continue to bless me with these wonderful spiritual moments for teaching, if I continue to utilize them and teach when they come around. I love it. I cannot express my gratitude for the ability to teach my children things that are of the greatest importance.

The stories.....

Before bed, we read books. Tonight, Kade hadn't picked a book, so I picked the Aesop's Fables to read. They are short and teach great lessons. After reading several fables, we read one about a Charcoal burner and his new neighbor. The Charcoal burner invited his neighbor to move in and they could save themselves money, and be company for each other, etc. But the neighbor declined, stating that "everything he worked so hard to keep clean, would become dirty.." He could not live a clean life with someone who was so dirty. From this, I explained that this story means not just outward cleanliness, but inside "Spiritual" cleanliness.

For Easter I bought the boys the "old school" seminary videos (remember hottie Capt. Moroni and the cheesy 90's fashion?) Anyway, there is a clip about keeping your temple clean -your spirit. Although, it was way past bedtime, we watched this 7 minute clip twice. We talked about how Satan influences us, and how sometimes friends and other things can influence us for the bad or good. It was such a great experience. The Spirit was there and we finished the night with our family scriptures and the kids went to bed. Perfect! While telling Joe his "four things" for the day, Ben mentioned he "loves Jesus shows" (those are any church movie). I was more then grateful.

For well over a year now, I have been only playing church music, Christian Rock stations, or classical music in the house and car. This has given me millions of opportunities to talk with the boys. The other day, on the Christian Rock station, there was a testimony given in between songs, where the speaker explained that "...The Lord wants us to lay our weapons down before the battle..." "Weapons", "Battle" -the boys' ears were perked. He mentioned how if we turn to the Lord when we're facing a struggle, we wont have to struggle; He will help us through anything. The boys started flooding me with questions which I answered, to which they then gave other examples to qualify what I had said. It was wonderful!

The boys are little sponges soaking up everything they learn....well, remember. :) They love to talk about anything spiritual and they ask the most amazing questions. The Lord has filled my mouth with clear and simple answers so the boys fully grasp what we're talking about.
I am so far from being the "best mom ever", but my goal is to be better. My biggest goal is to teach the boys all that I can about the things the Lord wants them to know. I love seeing them grow. I love seeing them "get it" and love knowing that they will be the better for knowing the gospel. Having the gospel in my life, is wonderful, BUT having the gospel available for my kids' lives is the greatest blessing the Lord has given me. I am grateful my boys will know the gospel.

Oh and just as a side note, I love that little Carter folds his arms, even bows his head sometimes, when he hears the word "prayer" and that sometimes he'll fold his arms and mumble/pray. It's just the cutest thing.

1 comment:

Brimaca said...

D does that too - the folding arms things. I love it! And you are a great mom. I love how you link most things back to the gospel and man, I strive to be like you. Look how awesome they are too! :)