Monday, October 6, 2008

In a way, A Missionary Already!

I told this little story to my friend -she said it was cute and that I should post it.
But -a side not first. In Ben's baby blessing he was repeatedly blessed to be a missionary and spread and share the gospel with others. So, I love that he's doing it, somewhat, already.

As I waited to unload groceries, a woman and I exchanged the typical pleasantries -"Your boys are cute." "I hope I didn't spend a ton" etc, etc. She was probably late fifties and very nice.
Ben deduced from my conversation with her that she must be "O.K." to talk to....so he piped right up about his favorite topic these days.(He does this sort of thing quite often.)

He quickly informed, "Laman and Lemuel are bad guys."
She said, "That's right, they are. Who's a good guy?"
Ben replied, "Nephi! He's a good guy."
She asked him his name, then asked him if he was named after King Benjamin.
He said, "No. But, King Noah -he's a bad guy."
She agreed.
Their conversation was cute and went on for a little while till the food was rung up and we were on our way.

Now, in that moment, I had actually been a little nervous that he could possibly be talking to a non-member who might not know anything about who "Laman and Lemuel" were -I felt relieved that she was obviously LDS. However, after talking with my wonderful, returned missionary girl friend, Brittany, she pointed out what a good opening it could have been to at least bring up the church or Book of Mormon.
Had the woman responded with "What?", I could have said something to the effect that "They are in the Book of Mormon....." -which would have ultimately lead to a conversion, I'm posistive. ;) And, how easy would that have been to do!
The point is....Children are Innocent and not afraid. They are open and willing to share any information they have with anyone who is around. They are not held back by nerves or self doubt -they are free to share the things they know are true. They are willing to talk forever about the topics they love and that thrill them. They want anyone and everyone to hear what they have to say. I wish to be more like that!!
I never went on a mission, and, thus have no real experience with just bustin' out with any information about the church. I have the self doubt and nerves that, I am so glad, Ben doesn't.

I hope to raise my boys to be "Life Long Missionaries." I hope Ben will always have the guts and love to share the truths he knows with anyone, at any time, in any place. What an example my little boy is. I am kind of looking forward to a time when this might happen again with someone not of my faith, so I can then be an example to my boys. Children teach us all more than we could ever teach them -for that I am continually blessed and eternally grateful.

8 comments:

Brimaca said...

You however did live outside Utah so you have more experience than you know. And you are so sincere that how could people not react in a positive way. I just try to remember that God loves them and would want them to know the one thing that could truly make them happy. If you love the person and think of them that way, then you can't fail (I have to actually say these things to myself when an opportunity arises and sometimes I can't get up the nerve either).

Thanks for writing it. He's sooooo cute and sooooo smart. I still can't believe this conversation he had. I'm so impressed with him. He is a great missionary already. He's a "good guy." :)

njohnson said...

YAYAY! Oh my heck! I just can't say it enough of how stinkin' stinkin' awesome he is! So good. And good job to you too sister. How does he know about these epople? Because you have introduced him to them! Way to go hooch =)

Jacob and Mindy T. said...

That is the SWEETEST thing I have ever heard. He is just sooooooooo stinking smart I can't even stand it?! You teach your children SO well. I LOVE that he KNOWS so much about the Book of Mormon. You are such a wonderful mom.

Jacob and Mindy T. said...

P.S. I love that you and Natalie still call each other hooch! LOL

Wendy said...

To be a missionary, all you need to do is be willing to talk about the blessings the Church brings you. Members can benefit and you can benefit, and so can your boys.

You never know when somebody will need an uplifting conversation. Pray for inspiration in the morning, and if it feels right, go for it. Good advice for me too. :)

K said...

Great post, way to go Ben!

Brimaca said...

I love your silly ideas. In fact, I think I will have a pig day. Let's do it on the same day and then we can oink to each other about it. he he

Camille said...

I know how you feel Holly, I feel the exact same way. I love the story. Cute picture of the your boys too! They are getting so big!