Wednesday, March 2, 2011

In the Middle of the Night

As a nursing mom, waking up in the middle of the night just comes with the job. Although it is hard to get myself actually out of the bed at 1:30 or 3:30 in the morning, once i get in the room and pick up my sweet "Baby C", waking up is no longer a chore but a blessing.

Last night I was reminded again just how precious this time is alone with Carter. Everything is quiet. I just listen to him breathing. I rub his little hand and cheek. I really try to soak it all in and savor the moment. Some nights he's more awake and alert and will coo and smile at me before eating and going back to sleep. When that happens I will talk to him for a little while and kiss and kiss his little face.

Carter is child number three, which means he rarely has me all to himself -so these nighttime feedings really are priceless. It always amazes me how your perspective really is the key to your happiness. If I were to focus on the fact that I have to get up over and over again, or focus on the huge bags I carry under my eyes, I'd be an unhappy mama. But, I am determined to stay focused and choose to see the better part. I get Carter all to myself for these small moments. I've had these same moments with Ben and Kade, and am very grateful to have them with little Carter. I love him.

3 comments:

Alisha said...

I agree! It's the best to have that quiet time with your little one:)

April said...

I felt this exact same way with my third little boy too. :) Such sacred time.

Brimaca said...

That is why I don't wean out all the night feedings until they are older. I love that time with them. If it gets to be more than once a night after six months though I do have a hard time holding onto that perspective.