Just about two minutes ago, I was talking with Ben while he colored. I was watching some of Education Week on TV, and a picture of the Savior came up. I asked him who it was. He knew. Then I asked him "Who is Jesus", he first said, "A prophet." So, I told him, "Jesus is our Savior." He got it.
Then I asked him, "Who are you?" He just smiled, looking at me anxiously for the answer. I told him, "You're a child of God." He grinned and then...
He said, "I want to be a disciple." Then he added, "I want to be a missionary."
I know we have read the scriptures to Ben, and I know I have given him the definition of a disciple before, but I didn't know it was anything he remembered. I knew he knew what missionaries were, but I am still thrilled that he thought to mention he wanted to be one, completely on his own. He's two and a half.
There are times as a mom that you wonder if what you are doing is going to bare fruit soon. I keep thinking that I will see the fruits of my labors when my kids have grown and made right and good life choices......but I have been wrong. This experience was fruit to me, that Joe and I have been doing something right. I know that I will see the fruits along the way, and for that I am very grateful. It allows for great validation.
Thursday, August 28, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Amazing. Yay for being good parents who are teaching you children to walk in the right way. I love those validating moments. The truly are gifts.
They watch and listen more than we think they do. I am amazed at what children understand and share with us.
I still can NOT get over how smart he is! Of course you are doing something right. I ALWAYS knew you would be a phenomenal mom.
http://www.oprah.com/slideshow/relationships/parenting/pkgbacktoschool/slideshow1_ss_home_lunch this is some quick and easy lunches link to answer a previous post. SOOOO dang cute of ben! he's sooo good =).
Ben is a great boy. And I must say disciple is a very big word. Amazing.
Nat- thanks for the link!
Wendy -if you only knew....this boy can talk! He says some pretty smart things sometimes, that's for sure.
Post a Comment