Friday, June 15, 2012

Drawing Help

     Ben often comes to me to teach him how to draw something. He is great little drawer, and once he practices a few times he can master drawing whichever superhero he's wanting too. Yesterday, he wanted to draw Wolverine. So, as always, the first thing I taught him was to "see the shapes in the picture; break it down to draw the whole." I drew first to break it down. Ben tried a couple times, but just couldn't quite get it to where he was happy. He was frustrated almost to tears. I reminded him how hard it was for him to draw other things too, till he practiced. But, nothing I said made him feel any better. He was just frustrated and disheartened. I told him to not worry about the picture till he calmed down and could focus. He did.

This morning I noticed a Wolverine picture being colored. Coloring only happens once Ben feels his picture is right. So, I said, "Hey, you drew Wolverine!" Then, as happens so many times, Ben's reply blew me away.
He said, "Yeah, I prayed."
I asked, "You prayed for help to draw it and not be frustrated?"
He said, "Yeah."
He said it in an "I knew it would help. I should have done that yesterday." sort of way. I LOVE IT!
Joe and I have always asked the boys if they think they should pray over this thing or that thing. But Ben prays all the time -on his own- when he's facing challenges. Then he mentions that he does this in the most casual way. He isn't proud or trying to impress me when he tells me -because he sees it as  just something you should do. I'm proud of him and grateful. He's really applied prayer into his life and, most importantly, SEES the help and KNOWS they're answered.
(Ben said his picture "Isn't finished yet" But you all get the idea.)

2 comments:

Brimaca said...

I swear this kid is going to be prophet some day. You're an amazing mommy. I so want to be like you some day. :)

Holly or Joe said...

Haha -thanks. You're so awesome. I get so many ideas from you! But, thanks for the compliments. :)