Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Great Books Shared and Memories Made


Last week, I ordered two of my favorite books to read aloud with the boys: The BFG and James and the Giant Peach. I told them a lot about each book, and some of my favorite parts. We were all anxiously waiting for them to arrive. Once they came, we got to reading The BFG. I was SO excited to share these books with the boys, and I know that their seeing my excitement over the books arriving, and my excitement in reading it aloud added to their own enjoyment.They LOVED listening to this new adventure full of silly words and things they've never imagined. Everyday, for a little under a week, we've read and finally finished the book tonight. We all cheered when we finished. We couldn't contain the thrill we had at finishing a  great book and having that awesome closure you have when you know the whole story. Ben said he wants to read the book over and over again. :) YAY!
After we finished it I wondered if there had ever been made a movie of The BFG. I Googled it. :) They had a movie on youtube, so I let them watch it. Both boys kept pointing out, "That's not like the book." They didn't like the changes. Haha. It's funny to hear a kid say, "The book was better." I loved sharing this book with the boys and being the sole reader of it. I loved that they begged me to read every spare moment we had. We have done this before, but not with ALL of us having this much excitement and enjoyment with reading one book. Tomorrow we will start James and the Giant Peach. (We all were disappointed that we ran out of time tonight and couldn't read the first chapter.) And, without a doubt, we'll share another week of fun and adventure together. Then on to more......

1 comment:

Maples Family!! said...

I too am a big fan of BFG and James and the Giant peach, what great books for your boys! What an inspiration you are to me to start reading bigger/longer books to my oldest! thanks!