As I often do, I prayed before this conference to hear something I needed to hear. I had actually been --almost desperately-- praying for something spoken especially to me; I wanted something so badly. And, I got what I had asked for.
Thank you, thank you, thank you, Elder M. Russell Ballard for the talk for young mothers. I needed to hear so much of what he said, about raising young children.
I am grateful for his advice to live more in the moment, to "get less done", so we won't be overwhelmed. I was so grateful to hear him validate my job as a mother as being hard and for him acknowledging the frustration, insecurities, and exhaustion that come with it. I was grateful for his praise for trying to raise children correctly, and I appreciated him reminding me that there is "no one correct way" to raise good kids.
As a mother, I often doubt myself and wonder if I have done what is right for my children. I pray every night to be a better mother tomorrow than I was today --because by the end of the day I add up all my mistakes and plead desperately for the ability to be better tomorrow for my children's' sake.
I felt our Heavenly Father's love for me in my calling as a mother, and I know that He was directly answering my prayers for "something" just for me. I had to mention this moment of spiritual uplift with you other mothers --I'm sure I wasn't the only one who was touched my Elder Ballard's words. I am grateful for all you women who have been great examples to me of being good mothers. Thank you!
I just love our Father in Heaven for knowing me personally and for answering my prayers. I just had to write and not let this moment pass without expressing how I feel.
Sunday, April 6, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Holly you are amazing. I used to watch you with Ben in Relief Society as you thumbed through your pictures of Jesus mini-book ,and thought what a great way that was to help children come to know their Savior. I loved Elder Ballard's talk as well. Thanks for your example to me. :)
That's so funny that we were basically praying for the same thing and got the answer through M Russel Ballard. Amazing man and it's nice to see that he felt it necessary to acknoledge what we do everyday. I feel just like he said most days which is inadequate and sometimes very underappreciated. Thanks for the comment on my blog. Nice to know I'm not the only mom that has accidentally injured her child! your comment made me laugh. :)
It gets easier when they are about 3 1/2. They can do some chores, very small ones on their own. They can have a conversation with you. They can tell you very funny stories. Or they can come into the room and tell you that you smell good and give you one of their big kisses, which is just lips pressed against yours for about 30 seconds. Boaz just came in. Hang tough, life just gets better.
Holly you are great! It's funny to hear other Mothers say what you are feeling. I think that you are a great Mom, insecurities come with the job. I love that you have such a desire to be better. You're awesome. Thanks.
I'm sad I missed hearing it and can't wait to read it. I'll get to it tomorrow. Tonight both kids are in bed and I'm off to try and get more sleep. I hate it because right now I don't feel tired but in the middle of the night when I try to get up fifty times I fall asleep holding my little angel and then she wants to be held all night. I'm glad you recognized Heavenly Father's answer to your prayers. He's so aware of us and loves us so much. I know you are a great mom and both of us want to do so much better. I love the stages our kids are at now I just need to remember to appreciate even those "bad" moments because they are only 2 years and so many days once. We talked about being truly present. I hope I can learn to do that better. We'll work on it together! It really does help M be better even if I just do it once a day for five minutes.
I was also really moved by that talk. I loved that he mentioned that it is SO important to stay home with your children and to sacrifice the things of the world for that to happen! I miss talking with you, give me a call sometime! Or just come by the bank within the next month.
Great post!! That conference was absolutely amazing, and even though I am a husband with no kids, I loved that talk as well. Props to all the Moms out there. I know you are a great Mom Holly, Britney always gets so much from your posts, thanks for the example!
Thanks everybody! I didn't mean to sound so down --just honest, but I appreciate everybody's comments and compliments! I love you guys!
Post a Comment